When mum is baking vol.4: Mum's absolute chocolate cake!3:28 AM
Today I'm gonna present you our mum's absolute chocolate cake! This cake has been our traditional winter treat for years now. It smells like chocolate and mum to us! Once a month we find this cake on the table with its melted chocolate on it, shouting loudly "Eat me!". That's the easiest part!!
Mum took this recipe from her favorite cook, Vefa Alexiadou. It's really easy and delicious!
I N G R E D I E N T S for the C A K E:
2 cups of self-raising flour
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
3/4 cup of soft butter
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond essence
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
I N G R E D I E N T S for the C H O C O L A T E I C I N G :
300gr. of dark chocolate
1 cup of sour cream
- If you own a mixer, add all the ingredients in the mixer bowl. Firstly, toss them lightly with a spoon and then mix them in high speed till fluffy and doubled in volume.
-If you don't own a mixer, sift together the flour, the cocoa powder and the baking soda.
- In another bowl cream together the butter with the sugar till fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, adding one tablespoon of the flour mixture after each addition. Whisk well after each addition.
- Finally, add in alternately the milk and the flour mixture. The cake mixture must me fluffy and thick.
- Grease a cake tin with butter and pour in the cake mixture.
- Bake for an hour in a 175 °C oven.
- When it's baked, leave it in the tin for 5 minutes and then invert it into a platter and let it cool (not completely).
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate icing:
- Put the chocolate cut into small pieces in a bain marie.
- Then pour in the sour cream and whisk continuously till the chocolate melts and you have a smooth and thick icing.
- Drizzle the cake with the icing , letting it run from various sides.
- You can decorate it with candied orange wheels, sprinkles, sugary hearts & stars or with fined almonds.